Thursday, August 28, 2008

Del Martin, a Pioneer

Phyllis Lyons was with her wife, Del Martin when she died yesterday. Del (on the right in the picture) was 87. Phyllis and Del had been lifelong partners for 55 years and were married (legally) for a little over two months. Both women were pioneering lesbian rights activists and symbols for the movement to legalize gay marriage.

"'Ever since I met Del 55 years ago, I could never imagine a day would come when she wouldn't be by my side,' Lyon, 83, said in a statement Wednesday.

"'I also never imagined there would be a day that we would actually be able to get married,' she added. 'I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed.'

"Martin and Lyon exchanged vows at San Francisco City Hall on June 16, the first day same-sex couples could legally wed in California, after being together for more than half a century."

No comments: