Monday, April 10, 2006

The answer my friend is blowin'....

Although Richie Haven, and Judy Collins are still singing, still touring, I doubt many people under 30 know their work. Back in the day, there was parallel popularity of contemporary folk and pop music.

Rap is folk music, it is. It does speak truths, but a great deal of it speaks about, that bitch done stole my money, or there’s some ho’s in the house. I am thinking more in the tradition of singers and songwriters like Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Richie Havens, Arlo Guthrie, John Lennon or Joni Mitchell. Music that tells harsh truths but music also of hope that speaks to the heart, not the groin. Music that brings out our humanity and reminds us how we should be and what’s really important.

Once again I am stealing and learning from Alexandra Billings. A while back she introduced us to a multi-talented guy named Steve Schalchlin who wrote a song called Holy Dirt. I think it has an important message about the misuse of religion.

I not only hope Holy Dirt catches fire and makes us think about how we handle our reverences but I hope it inspires this type of music.
I like the song and I like his voice. Check it out, pass it on.

No comments: