Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Night 2006

Overall I liked it. John Stewart is just funny to me. I missed all of the pre-show red carpet stuff this year. Oh well.
First up, Dolly Parton and her original song for Transamerica. It made me cry. I have such love-hate feelings for that film, very personal. My friend Alexandra, had the lead role offer rescinded in deference to Felicity Huffman who had a more bankable name. That's show biz, it happens, but it hurts. But, I like the song and wanted Dolly to win and bring attention to the film.

The song that won, "You Know It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" by Three Six Mafia, was a shocker to say the least. In context to the film "Hustle and Flow" the song is perfect. Some commentator this morning said the audience didn't get it. WELL, they voted for it.
Personally I like the song, but "Pimp" and Oscar? Wow. The Academy is recognizing hip hop.
Three Six Mafia won right after they performed which is too bad because they looked very dapper in their formal wear earlier.

Meryl Streep and Lilly Tomlin, absolutely hilarious.

I was happy with the big six awards including Crash as best pic. So, there really is only one more thing I want to say.
The winner of the night is Salma Hayek! Absolutely Gorgeous!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. I'm going to rip my hair out by the roots.

PIMP????

Linz, you're kidding right?

I'm so insensed by this I don't know what to do. I honestly don't get it. Maybe you can explain it to me.

I like hip hop. I like rap. But really now. That song over Parton's? I don't believe it. Not for one second.

Anonymous said...

OOOppppssss...

I wrote Linz, instead of Jackie.

Yikes. I'm really, really tired.

But I still want an explanation. Do you have one? Do you really think it deserved the Oscar Jackie?

Anonymous said...

Hi....
Well, this was the worst Oscarcast I have seen. Pimp????
Crash???Jon Stewart??? His presence ruined it for me from the beginning. An arrogant fellow.
And all those women prentending to be wearing clothes. Awful!
I liked seeing Dolly Parton and wished her song had one. I liked George Clooney. And I thought Reese Witherspoon saved the evening with her short and wonderful acceptance speech.

Jackie said...

Alex,
Nope, I really don't think that it was a Oscar winning song. I like the song in relation to the movie. I can't explain why the Academy nominated it in the first place. I have my theories though.
We will talk.