Sunday, August 16, 2009

Remembering Woodstock 1969


40 years ago America experienced Woodstock, the largest outdoor concert ever. Three days on a dairy farm. Outside in the heat and the mud and the rain with close to 500,000 strangers, lots of them high. Most of them with long hair, big afros, bell bottoms, head bands and love beads. What a time in America. Historic in it's scope and historic in what it meant to music. About 200,000 tickets were sold but more than double that number showed up. It was the time for peace and music, man.





I am not an outdoor roughing it type, never was. Missed Woodstock but love the idea of it. For me it would be about the music. All in three days there was: Creedence Clearwater Survival, Ritchie Havens, Melanie, Ravi Shankar, Alrlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Canned heat, Greateful Dead, Sly and the Family Stone, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Santana, Country Joe and the Fish, John Sebastian, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, Neil Young, Crosby and Stills and Nash, Paul Butterfield Blues Band.. (Take a breath yall.) Ten Years After, Sha-Na-Na, Blood Sweat and Tears, The Band, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and more. Unbelievable. All that in one weekend. Just recalling those musicians makes me happy.
Real music, real guitar heros. Right on! Right on!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Woodstock. Wow. I was only 19 years old, a college student, and living in the height of the Haight-Ashbury hippie, teenage runaway, and war protests movements. What memories! Thanks!

I also wanted to thank you for leaving your kind comment on my Cracker Lady's House Blog. Your comments mean a lot to me. This is the first time visiting your blog. I really like it and have put it in my Google Reader, so I can keep up with your posts. Blessings to you.

Unknown said...

Combination of heat, mud and rain wow so nice to enjoy ha ha!!
Carol
Plug and play Security Systems no Contracts at the best affordable Prices