Monday, July 10, 2006
Since Seussical the Musical is in Chitown and in honor of my favorite a-Mayzing peacock I thought I'd post this Dr. Seussical confusical, I saw in the Trib.
I call it a Quest because it's as long as a Test but counts as a Quiz or is as easy as a quiz but counts as a Test. QUEST! Get it? Ok, ok shoot me.
Test your memory for the chanting rhymes and crazy characters that come to life in Dr. Seuss' more than 40 children's books. Answers are in comments. Cheaters.
As Dr. Seuss himself once put it: "Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won."
1. What is Dr. Seuss' real name?
2. Which of Dr. Seuss' books was published first?
A. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
B. "The Cat in the Hat"
C. "Green Eggs and Ham"
D. "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
3. Fill in the blank in these Seuss rhymes:
A. "Oh, the things they will bump!
Oh, the things they [two words]!
Oh, I do not like it! Not one little bit!"
B. "You've nothing to do and I do [three words].
Would you like to sit on the egg in my nest?"
C. "A zoo should have bugs, so I'll capture a Thwerll
Whose legs are snarled up in a [two words]."
D. "I'll just have to save him.
Because, after all, A person's a person, no matter [two words]."
E. "Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. [Two words]."
4. Identify the speaker in each of the above quotations.
5. Dr. Seuss won three Academy awards. What did he earn his Oscars for?
A. "Hitler Lives"
B. "Gerald McBoing-Boing"
C. "Design for Death"
D. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
6. In what book did a young narrator find a ghair beneath the stairs or a bofa on the sofa?
A. "And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street"
B. "The Butter Battle Book"
C. "There's a Wocket in my Pocket"
7. What moral lesson do the Star-Belly Sneetches and Plain-Belly Sneetches teach?
A. Pitfalls of prejudice
B. Effect of materialist society on natural world
C. Ideology of nuclear armament
8. Who was Thidwick?
A. The Birthday Honk-Honker
B. Curious Crandall
C. The Big-Hearted Moose
9. In what year did the "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" first air on TV?
10. Match the quirky location with the book.
3. Official Katroo Birthday Sounding Off Place
4. River Roover
A. "The Sneetches and Other Stories"
B. "Happy Birthday to You!"
C. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
D. "Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book"
11. What was the Grinch's problem?
A. He did not like feasting.
B. His heart was two sizes too small.
C. He did not like noise.
D. He loathed singing.
12. What was the Grinch's dog's name?
C. Mr. Bix